July 9, 2012

A Penny for My Thoughts

     Isn't it funny how a good book can entwine you so deeply, you forget time and duties, and end up reading for eight hours straight?

     Though, I've already read Ella Enchanted once through already, I was enchanted enough to read it all over again.  When I started it yesterday morning, I didn't think I would finish it in one day.  Though, I don't think it should surprise me, since, if I remember correctly, I originally read it in less than twelve hours after it was first delivered.  But I'd forgotten what a sweet story it is, and in all honesty, my devotion to it does me catch me off guard.
     Through the latter half of the book, Ella only received half of my attention.  The parts of my brain that don't require literary comprehension focused on an idea I thought of this morning.  I wanted to see if I could come up with a story that has a unique point of view. The thoughts of a penny came to mind.
     It would be a love story, but the penny would have some sentimental significance.  Such as, the girl drops the penny and doesn't notice, but the guy picks it up and gives it back to her.  She's touched by the gesture and keeps the penny separate from her other cash.  She carries it with her everywhere and leaves it on her dresser at night.  It would begin with the account of how she came into possession of the penny.  Somehow the penny would be distinct amongst coins: a deep gash or heavily chipped.  I like the deep gash best.  It would be an 80s penny, blackened and tarnished, nothing special about it.  Yet, it's loved by the girl.
     Hmmmm... I'm beginning to like where this is going.  I think I should be off to find the notebook that I use for random writing spells.
     Yours ever,
NA

No comments: