February 15, 2013

Cliff Jumping

     To my reader,

     Life's been a roller coaster and has taken me on many ups and down recently.  For example, I'm going to end up moving, again.  Whether that move happens in two weeks or four months, I don't know yet.  I don't know where I'll be moving to either. The unknownness is making me anxious.
     But this is the perfect opportunity to practice trusting God to take care of me.
     He's been faithful in the past when I didn't know what my next step would be, so why would He not be faithful again?
     It's terrifying standing on the edge of a precipice, not knowing whether it's two feet or two hundred feet to the bottom.  Then God asks me to jump.  I want to run away screaming, arms like streamers, and hide under a rock.  But that's not what He's calling me to do.  So I jump, trusting that it'll only be two feet.  Or that He'll give me a parachute.  Or that there will be a mountain of pillows waiting for me at the bottom.  Or that He'll be standing there with His arms wide open to catch me.

     In writing news, I've been working on a project I've dubbed "Top Secret."  Absolutely no one but me knows what it's about, and I intend to keep it that way until I finish the manuscript.
     When I talk about what I'm currently working on, I'm putting my energy into explaining it when I really should be writing it.  Therefore, instead of gushing about this super awesome story I have tucked away in my head, I spill my mind out onto the page.  It's worked so far; I've been writing nearly everyday for almost two weeks now.
     Another thing I've learned about my writing style is that I shouldn't plan out the whole plot.  I lose the adventure that way.  If I plan out every single little detail, then where's the discovery in writing?  I may know where I want to end, but I want to uncover how I'm going to get there.  Many ideas also come to me as I write, ideas that I never would have thought up unless I'm deep in writing the story.

This terrified cliff jumper,

Janelle

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My family has been through times where nothing at all is certain. You're right, the only solid ground is God and His Word! Run to those, they are the anchors for our soul. Wishing you the best as you and your mom make this next move :) I also look forward to this new surprise! I've read many times that famous authors pretty much let the story write itself, they don't write an outline beforehand.