April 19, 2013

the Shredding

To my reader,

     Never would I have thought I would rip a book to pieces.  Yet, on Wednesday the 17th, I found myself doing just that.
     I won't share the name of the book, lest some zealous fan come at me with a carving knife intending to shred me.  I wouldn't be surprised if the thought crossed their mind if they knew the name of the book.  It has been acclaimed as a "modern classic."  All I read was an amoral novel about sex, drugs, and a kid who has no boundaries and parents that are metaphorically blind as moles.
     Despite my distaste for the book, when Mom asked me to help clean out the garage and I found it in a pile of other books to be sold, I felt torn.  It was not a matter of "to keep or not to keep."  Rather, it was "to sell or to destroy."
     The idea of ravaging the book wasn't new to me.  I had been debating with myself for months.  I wanted my money back because it had been such a disappointment, but I didn't want anyone else reading it.  Yet, the thought of burying, burning, or shredding a book, no matter how disgusting to me, was horrifying.  The smell of paper and ink; dark, beautiful letters against a blank background; the binding that holds the pages together; these wonderful things demolished is a tragedy.
     Still the stirring to destroy what was wrong urged on.
     I grabbed the book and paced about the garage with it.
     I stopped and stared at it, the ugly paperback cover in one hand, the body in the other.  I shut my eyes.  Muttering, "Just do it, just do it!" I tore off the front.
     I never thought I could feel freedom in such an act.  I separated myself from sin, and relief was the reward.  I forsook my greed and made sure no one else would be bound to the book.
     Three or four pages at a time, I tore the whole of it into quarters.
     The remains sit in the recycling bin, waiting to be taken with the company it belongs in: the trash.

"What shall we say, then? 
Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? 
By no means! 
We died to sin; 
how can we live in it any longer?" 
Romans 6 : 1&2 

Alive in Christ,
Janelle

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! Flee fast and hard from any sin and weight! And also, book burning, is biblical ;) no seriously, they did it in the book of Acts with black magic books or something like that!

Anonymous said...

Agree...You go girl. There's too much sin in this rusted world. Guess that's why some people stick to reading the Bible. :)