April 5, 2013

Another's Mistake

To my reader,

     One of my favorite authors recently wrote a blog post saying she was disappointed that her fans didn't love this certain character of hers.
     He's the first guy in a love triangle, but the majority of fans like the pairing of Guy #2 and The Girl better.  In the post, she described how much the first guy, Guy #1, has sacrificed for The Girl.  She told of heartbreaking moments he endured when parted from her that the readers never get to see.  I, personally, have a higher regard for Guy #1 after seeing these moments for myself.
     But, as I was reading, I couldn't help but think, "Why didn't you tell us all this in the first place?"
     The readers only know of Guy #1 what the author displays for us through The Girl's view point.  Given the little knowledge we have, it's bound that most fans won't like him.  The adoration Guy #1 has for The Girl can be logically deduced, but since we're all so distracted by the sweet romance between Guy #2 and The Girl, we don't have any interest in thinking about Guy #1.
     What could the author have done better?  She could have expanded to a broader view point than first person {I saw...I heard...I ran}, such as third person {she saw...she heard...she ran}.  She also could have shown us more moments where Guy #1 and The Girl actually talk instead of kiss.  Further explaining why Guy #1 broke up with The Girl in the beginning would have helped immensely as well.  {He broke up with her in the desire for what's best for her.  Honest.}
     What can I learn from all this?  If I want my readers to love a character, I will give them enough reason to root for him or her before he or she blunders in a really stupid way, like breaking apart a relationship and a heart.  I will analyze my story from the reader's perspective, and if I'm not liking how the story appears, I will rewrite and revise.

I will learn from another's mistake.

This ever-learning writer,
Janelle

No comments: