August 30, 2013

the Reviewer

To my reader,

     Mind vomit: my state of mind just after I've read a book.  My brain is filled with thoughts about why I did or didn't like the book, and I need to release them.  I either chatter about the story and overload someone else's brain with information un-useful to them, or I write a review.   I've been doing a lot of the latter recently.
     Reviewing solidifies my opinions about the story.  I often read others' reviews after I've finished a book, to compare thoughts, but it's damaging to my own opinion if I haven't recorded it beforehand.  What I originally thought shifts to align closer with the reviewer's.  I don't like being so easily swayed, and setting my opinions down on paper anchors me to them.
     On Goodreads.com, reviewing regularly also gives me a greater chance of winning free books.   The site holds drawings for advanced reader copies, or ARCs, in hopes of getting favorable reviews before publication.  (It helps book sales.)  They have a limited supply of the book they're giving away, so they want it to fall into the hands of someone who will review.  Therefore, the more reviews I write, the better chance I have at getting books before they hit shelves.  (Which is totally crazy and awesome and cool, and I would probably fangirl about it, maybe.)
     The greatest thing writing reviews does is that it helps my own writing.  An author once said that a writer escapes with a book every moment he has the chance.  A writer who doesn't read is like a composer who doesn't listen to music.  Or a painter who doesn't visit art galleries.  What do painters and composers also do?  They analyze the music; they examine the paintings.  They determine what could have been done better.  When I review, I identify what I like and don't like about the story.  Then I know what to avoid and what to strive for as I write.
     Mind vomit: something that could be useless and annoying to others.  But if channeled the right way, it can help me create a story worth while to anyone.

This reviewing writer,
Janelle

No comments: