September 27, 2012

Daydreams

     Recently, I've been daydreaming... a lot.  (Who doesn't think about boys?)  But quite frankly, I don't believe daydreaming is very healthy.  It raises expectations and hopes that most of the time aren't met, and then your wildest dreams are crushed like a spider in the bedroom.  Of course, you first scream in terror and cower on your bed in the fetal position, sobbing uncontrollably.
     But I digress.
     There was this one daydream I couldn't get out of my head, and I thought it quite creative.  So, instead of drooling over meeting my celebrity crush in some cheesy romantic way, I wrote down the scene but switched out me and Crush for two of the characters in my story.  The catch is, instead of it being a romantical heart-throb moment, I was able to transform it into a fun turned tear jerking moment between two sisters.  (Maybe one day, after the whole publishing process is done with, I'll explain more fully just how I did it.)
     I'm rather proud of this scene.  It's really one of my favorites now.
     My point is I've discovered another way to become inspired.  I know I used to write my daydreams into full-fledged scenes, but somewhere along the road I lost that concept.  But I'm happy to say that now I will definitely be writing my daydreams into my story.  Though, I don't think I'll intentionally daydream.  Even though I can constructively use that creative energy, I still don't think it's very healthy for the emotions if the mind dwells on such things.  But when I do get a sudden wave of dreams, I'll definitely try to utilize it.
     I sort of see creativity as a spontaneous thing.  When something brilliant comes, I write it down immediately, or I'll lose it.  For example, a couple nights ago, I was watching a movie and something inspiring about a couple or aliens came to me.  I didn't write down, and now I can't remember.  It's driving me crazy....
     AAAAARRRRRRRGH!
     Ah, that was a good relief.

Janelle

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Daydreams aren't necessarily bad, but I know what you mean about building high hopes for some sappy romance to come bouncing in your life. It never happens the way authors or movie producers portray it. But I think if we girls continue to prepare prayerfully for adulthood, marriage, and motherhood God will give us the sweetest gift of our life.

Hailey B said...

That was the most beautiful comment lol and that's funny you blog about that Janelle, because I thought about that recetly as well. If I imagine how I think a day or evening might go, I get frusterated when it doesn't go that way....it actually sounds a but controlling lol. But I've learned that if you expect nothing, some days take you by complete suprise and the little things mean the most to you :)