September 16, 2012

Overwhelmed

     As much as I love reading Writer's Digest, I have to be careful of how much I read.
     The magazine is full of wonderfully useful information.  My favorite bit is the "Writer's Workbook."  I always find the section very informative and it has really helped me with my writing.  But sometimes I can get overwhelmed.
     For instance, today I was reading about plot twists in the July/August 2012 issue.  I was working on some plotting things, and I needed to reference the article.  After finding what I needed, I flipped through the other pages.
     Big mistake.
     Just skimming through the articles, I started to feel lost and like I had no idea what I was doing, trying to write a book.  Too much information in too little time.  It felt as if my mind was squashed so I couldn't think properly.  I couldn't pull myself together to write again.  I felt sick to my stomach, and I didn't even want to write anymore.  That's when I decided to come write this post, work through things.
     It helps just to write out my thoughts.  I don't even know what I writing write now.  Oh wow.  Didn't see that mistake for a full five minutes.  And no, that was not intentional.
     I just need to calm down and remember that I'm writing my story for myself, not anyone else.  Of course I want to make it the best story I possibly can, making it believable and an entertaining story, but I don't want to do it to make others love the story.  I want to love it.  I want to write the perfect book for me.  And if others happen to love it as well....  In the words of Whitney Houston,  "And IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII will always love yooooooooooooou!"
NA

No comments: