May 5, 2012

Hooks 'N Printers

     Printers are fickle machines.
     Two nights ago, I finished rewriting Chapter Two, and I began printing it off for my grandmother who my mom was going to see the next morning.  I turned on the printer, and hit the "Print" button on my computer.  In the middle of the eighth page, the printer stopped.  No warning, no jam, plenty of ink, it just stopped.

     I rebooted the printer and started the print process from page eight, but once successfully spitting out one page, it stopped again after the start of nine.
     I rebooted the printer again, hit "Print," and sat in a chair, watching the machine.  I literally had my hands folded, praying for it to work.  It was the longest eleven pages in my entire life, but in the end I had sixteen pages of wonderful text in a manila envelope.  *collapses in relief*

   More good news!  I was texting with a friend last night, and she asked to know a little bit more about my book.  This made me very happy, but it also forced me to write a sentence describing Yellow Roses on the spot.  From that, I edited and shaped out a hook, a sort of intro, and now I have prepared it for you to read!  Click  here ← to read the description of YR.  (It will open in a new window, and it won't take you off site.)

     I just listened to a voicemail from my grandma saying that she got interrupted from reading Chapter Two, leaving off at page nine, and couldn't wait to finish reading.  I looked up what was on page nine and thought, "That's a horrible place to stop!"  Though, when I think about that phrase further, I say to myself, "Wait a second.  I need to strive for every page to be horrible place to stop."  This doesn't mean that the content should be terrifying or badly written, but that the material should be so suspenseful and good the reader never wants to put down the book.
     There's my prolific writing view for the day.

     Stroking my chin like a great philosopher,

NA

No comments: