May 1, 2012

Five Books in One Week?

     I finished five books, beginning to end, in seven days.  How did this happen?  I'm not quite sure.  I have a theory that time stopped on Tuesday, but it's not very plausible.  But if you have a time machine, please leave your contact information in a comment below.

     (If you want to read the first few chapters of any of the books I list, click on the title to be taken to a preview.)
     1. Unwind by Neal Shusterman:  Hunger Games fans, listen up 'cause I have the book for you.  This dystopian thriller is just that, thrilling, exhilarating, heartbreaking.  I sobbed at several points in the book, and the topic is so relevant to today's society. Strong characters, great plot, and a good dystopian feel.  5 stars.
     2. The Selection by Kiera Cass:  This romance set in a dystopian world is just heart-melting.  If you're looking for a strong dystopian book, don't go looking here; but if you're interested in a story that you can cuddle up in bed with on a rainy day, read this.  I had to wade through the first 70 pages to get to the good stuff, but once there, I totally fell in love with the the characters and the story.  4 stars.
     3. The Rapture of Canaan by Sheri Reynolds:  This story is unique to say the least.  It was very well written with a strong voice.  It was a good book, but it didn't grab me like I wanted it to.  I wouldn't recommend it but wouldn't discourage anyone from reading it either.  4 stars.
     4. The Maze Runner by James Dashner:  Ah, the title is more captivating than the actual book.  I ordered this one because the description intrigued me.  A dude wakes up in a dark elevator, unable to remember anything about himself, then gets dumped into a maze where a bunch of other dudes with memory loss are.
     One problem is that the author relies too much on you-don't-know-what's-going-on before diving into the action.  I was very bored throughout the book and frustrated with the main character because he never stopped asking questions even when the answers were stack-dab in front of him.  The only character I liked didn't come into play till three quarters in, and the plot was oh-so predictable.  I am going to finish the trilogy, but only because I want to find out what happens romantically between two characters.  2 1/2 stars.
     5. Heart to Heart by Lurlene McDaniel:  Don't read this book.  It had no distinctive voice, no plot, the characters were less than one dimensional, and the structure was a heap of rubbish.  I don't know how this even got noticed by a publisher.  The idea, a girl receives a heart transplant and starts acting similar to the donor, is fresh, but the execution of it was very poor.  1 star.

     If you've read any of the books above, or any good stories recently, comment below saying what you thought of them.  (You can comment anonymously and without an account.)

     I didn't write any yesterday; I was dealing with a lot of complicated things, and my mind couldn't settle down.  There's a certain calm state I have to be in to be able to write.  It's like when the house is really messy, and I can't think straight because all I see is unholy dirtiness!  But my mom stayed up with me around two o'clock last night to listen me rant and work it all out.  She's amazing, and I love her.  *big-eyed smile*

     Riding life's roller coaster,

NA

1 comment:

Leslie Basil Payne said...

Make sure your seat belt is pulled snug. Cheering you on as you ride.