September 27, 2013

the River

To my reader,

     Creativity is a river.  Writing is my canoe, and the ocean is my book.  Without streams and springs feeding it, the river will dry up, and I will be left scraping my paddle against the flaking dirt.  Without creativity fueling my writing onward, I won't reach my destination: my ocean book.
     This is why I began to panic as my river dwindled to a trickle this past week.
     I tried to divert a stream of inspiration into the river, but it didn't fill again.  But I've realized there are three streams feeding the creativity river, not just one.  Inspiration, time, and energy are the tributaries.
     The lack of energy is like someone who is sick in bed.  They have an abundance of time and much inspiration, but they don't have the energy to write.  All their energy is diverted to healing.  Without time, they don't have the opportunity to form their energy and inspiration into a coherent idea.  Inspiration channels energy and time in the proper direction.  All three are essential for a flowing river.  Without one, there isn't enough water to travel downstream.
     In my attempt to get my creativity flowing again, I had an abundance of time.  Yet, the energy was committed to keeping calm in stressful circumstances.  In addition, the inspiration I channeled wasn't the right kind.  However, I think I finally have the combination that will at last fill the river.
     The stressful events are nearly concluded, I will again have much time in my lap, and I have found inspiration in the most exciting form.  (To read and see photos about my trip to the zoo, visit my tumblr page! Life of a Noveling Addict at novelingaddict.tumblr.com)
     I look forward to paddling the water, ever watching the horizon.  There, the river will widen, and I'll be delivered to the ocean water.

Rowing on,

1 comment:

@a said...

So true. For me my river flows in spurts. It dries up, then once again floods with water. Well, this is one of those dry times. I have thoughts but I can't seem to type "up to those thoughts."
Pressing on, Annie