April 29, 2012

A Gruntled Minion Phlebotmist

     For the past several days, I have been working on Chapter Two.  I feel stuck quite honestly,  but something glorious has evolved from this rut.  I literally am addicted to writing now!


     Late last night, instead of taking my pencil running out of graphite as a sign, I searched for a new pencil, which took longer than it probably should have, so I could return to writing.  I am no longer a hypocrite.  I am literally addicted now, and I can't wait to dive into the world of the friends in my head again.


     I feel self-conscious about blogging about writing a book and blabbing on about my writing, then not giving you anything to read.  So, I have posted one of my short stories.
     The Empty is a short I wrote earlier this year exploring what base human nature would be if someone forgot everything she knew, forgot she was even human.  What happened before and after what is written is left to the reader's imagination.  It's not my usual style of writing, but I'm proud of it, and I'd like to share it.  You can click here to read it, or you can click on "The Empty" tab at the top of this page. (Update on 02/22/13: This story is no longer available.)


      To give this post some more substance than just an update, I'm sharing my favorite words in the universe with you (that is until I find some new additions).
     1.  Phlebotomist: This word reminds me of hippos, and who doesn't love hippos?  Actually, I think a lot of African families might because hippos killed their loved ones.  Still, it rolls off the tongue in fantastic ways.
     2.  Gruntled: It's the opposite of disgruntled and doesn't sound like what it means at all.  Don't believe it's an actual word?  Check out this link: Gruntle Definition.
     3.  Minion: This one is most likely a favorite because it always reminds me of one of three things that I'm partial to: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis; the most awesome sidekick ever in Megamind; and the little-yellow-people things from Despicable Me.  (Side-note: Megamind is so much better than Despicable Me.  The little-yellow people were the only up-side in DM while MM was just awesome all 'round.)
     Now to combine them into one, glorious sentence:  "The gruntled phlebotomist summoned her minion."  It's perfect.  *tears well up*

     Heading to the kitchen for fuel to write,

NA

1 comment:

Laura H said...

Wow, I need to remember to use the word "phlebotomist" more! ;D