April 12, 2012

Oh Yeah, Uh-h-uh-h, Oh Yeah

     ♫ Dum-de-dum-de-dum-de-dum.  I'm floating on air. 

     That's right.  I wrote seven pages last night.
     Better yet, I finished chapter two.


     Last night I was doing the twist, but now I'm smugly singing in my head while I write this.  I thought it would take me a week to write a full chapter, but it turns out it's going to be more like three days.  If I finish typing up number two quickly today, it's off to number one!
     Yes. One, not three.
     I was going through Yellow Roses files sometime in the past few days and found what I thought was the completed rough draft of the first chapter.  Turns out, I wrote only half of it.  *facepalm*  The good thing is that I have the unwritten half laid out in my head pretty well, so it should take only today to write it.

     After my post yesterday, I put off writing for two hours.  It's funny how you can look at your notebook, say "I'm gonna write," and go get something to eat.  Almost everyday, I psych myself out.  Pessimist tells me, "It's so hard.  Instead, go clean your room," while Optimist screams, "Don't listen to him! You know once you start, you won't want to stop."  Over the past few days, Optimist and I have been getting tight.

     I once read in Writer's Digest, never throw away anything you've written.  Even though most of it may never be used, you might be scanning those words and find a hidden pearl.  That's what happened to me two days ago, minus rereading old material.
     I got stuck in a rut in the middle of chapter two when a brilliant scene I had long discarded evaded the movie in my mind.  I scribbled it in and was elated.  It also included a continuing attribute to my protagonist that I absolutely adore.  I never know what I might find in the recesses of my mind or notebooks.  That's why I'm going to try and always be open to old scenes; who's knows? They may end up being my best.

     Balancing a pillow on my head,

NA

1 comment:

Leslie Basil Payne said...

^^HIgh Five!!
Keep inspiring me, dear niece!
Now I'm back to rewriting....