April 10, 2012

Optimist & Pessimist

     I admit it.  I didn't post a second time yesterday, even though I said I would.  You can lead me away in handcuffs now.  But, wait! I have information that could buy me out of chains.


     Yesterday, I wrote three pages! *happy dance*

     Yeah, I know it's not a lot, but what makes this monumental is that I was not in the writing mood. The content was some of my worst, but, considering the circumstances, the fact I have three more full pages in my notebook is astonishing.
     When I first looked at those pages, I thought, "Three pages?  Really.  Not that impressive, NA."
     Optimist, my glass-half-full side, spoke up. "Pessimist, she hasn't written for weeks, felt sick and like not writing at all, and still managed to get out three decent pages."
     I am pleased to say, Optimist won out.
     I also discovered something from those three pages.  When I begin writing a scene, I need to make a list of checkpoints to hit.  Such as a clip of dialogue, or a certain character enters the room, or the protagonist makes note of something.  It gives the scene a sort of pathway.  I can write whatever I like between checkpoints as long as the points connect in a logical way.  I will definitely be using this technique today.

     To non-novelists, it may be surprising to hear that the hardest thing for a lot of writers to do is write.  We can plan perfect plots, create complex characters, weave wonderful worlds, and not write a lick of prose.  For me, it's hard to write because I want everything perfect the first time.  I labor over every verb and noun, trying to choose the ideal word.  It's so difficult to just let go.  I've gotten better, but I'm still learning.

     Pencil and paper in hand,

NA

No comments: