April 13, 2012

Screen-Staring

     Yesterday morning, I woke to the beautiful music of birdsong and leaf blowers.  Doesn't that sound wonderful?
     What does sound wonderful is I officially finished Chapter Two's rough draft.  There's no Irish jig or flying to the moon today, only a sigh of relief and contentment.

     Writing on the blue lines of notebook paper is brilliantly less stressful than pushing buttons on a keyboard.  I'm not one of those people who painstakingly uses two fingers and seeks out every letter; I'm a pretty fast typist, though I do cheat and look at the keys most of the time.  What irks me is gazing into a screen for hours on end.
     I write my blog posts on the computer, and, believe me, it's enjoyable.  It only takes a small portion of my time, and it kicks my mind into gear for creative prose.  Copying what I've previously written does nothing for me, except give me pink eye, Pessimist a foothold, and imprints lines of text into my vision.
     Never fear!  I have a plan!  To avoid spending day upon day in front of the computer typing up the whole manuscript, after each chapter is finished I'll immediately type it in; thus, effectively chopping up screen-staring time like a master Japanese sushi chef.

     When I'm typing anything, whether it's a Facebook status or an essay, I edit as fast as the words come from my fingertips.  This makes things unnecessarily prolonged.  Yesterday, it took me probably twice as long as it should have to finish up Chapter Two, so I didn't get to Chapter One.  This is more likely a good thing than bad.
     The content of Chapter One has been thought over a hundred times, and I quite honestly don't feel like giving it another millisecond in my head.  It is outlined well enough on paper that I believe I can continue on with Three before jumping back to One.  The third has some lovely new content that I am itching to write down.  Instead of wonking my head with a hammer for the next couple days, I prefer to have a singing gondolier take me down the river Three.

     Looking forward to la-la land,

NA

No comments: